To Obtain a Building Permit
Building permit applications are available at the Building Inspection Counter at the Regional District Office at 101 Martin Street, Penticton, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Building permits take approximately 3 to 5 weeks to process, depending on the time of year and the number of applications in the system. Fees for building permits range according to the size and type of structure and can be paid by cash, cheque, Interac, Mastercard or Visa.
Applications for building permits should be complete prior to submission and are processed on a first come, first serve, basis.
Failure to obtain a building permit may result in a notice of contravention being registered on the title of the property to warn prospective purchasers and/or finance companies of potential deficiencies. If any construction, for which a permit is required by RDOS Bylaw 2333, is commenced before a building permit is issued, the owner will be required to pay double the prescribed fee. Failure to obtain a permit and the necessary inspections may also ultimately result in an order to remove or demolish the structure.
RDOS Building Bylaw
It is recommended that all applicants review the Building Bylaw No. 2333, 2005 before submitting an application for a building permit.
Building Permit Fees
- RDOS Fees and Charges Bylaw 2523
- Building Permit - see Fee Schedule (minimum $150)
- Demolition of building or structure - $500
- Solid Fuel Burning Device - $100 per appliance
- Plumbing Permit - $10 per fixture when in conjunction with a building permit and $10 per fixture plus an administrative fee of $50 when a plumbing permit is issued separately.
- Re-inspection Fee - $100
- Permit Extension Fee - $100
- Permit Transfer Fee - $100
- Information Retrieval from file - $20
- File Search - $100
- Comfort Letter - $100
- Removal of bylaw infraction notice on Title - $250 for a Deficiency Inspection permit & removal of Notice on Title.
- Re-inspection - $100
- Construction commenced without a permit will be assessed an additional charge equal to 25% of the building permit fee as prescribed in the Fees and Charges Bylaw prior to obtaining the required building permit. If a Stop Work Notice or Do Not Occupy Notice is issued and remains outstanding for 14 days, double the fee prescribed in the Fees and Charges Bylaw with no limit.
Applications will not be processed and no building permit will be issued without the following:
- Non-refundable application fee of $150.00. The application fee will be applied towards the building permit fee.
- Completed application form accompanied by the owner's acknowledgement of responsibility and undertakings made in Form 1.
- Current (no older than 30 days) copy of "State of Title Certificate" (or a Title search)
- Copies of any easements, rights of ways, and/or covenants registered on the title.
- Copies of any approvals required under any enactment including sewage disposal permits, highway access permits and Ministry of Health approval.
- Two sets of building plans at a suitable scale which will include:
*Note: If a Professional Engineer is involved with any part of the project, Schedule B's must be submitted at the time of application. If a manufactured home is being installed, it must have CSA Z-240 certification.
- Floor plan, basement plan, foundation plan (all rooms must be identified)
- Elevation plans, front and back, both side views (identify natural and finished grade)
- Cross section through the building illustrating foundations, drainage, ceiling heights and construction systems
- Site plan showing dimensions and locations of all buildings on subject property.
- Form 3 Authorization signed by the applicant and authorized agent if the applicant is not the registered owner of the property.
- Documentation from the Homeowner Protection Office is required for dwellings pursuant to the Homeowner Protection Act. A building permit cannot be issued without a completed HPO registration form. http://www.hpo.bc.ca/
CHECKLIST - Building Permit Application checklist
Important - Riparian Area Regulations (setback from water courses)
Farm Building Exemption
For the purposes of this exemption, the farm buildings must be located on land classed as “farm” under the Assessment Act and are designed for “low human occupancy” as defined in the National Farm Building Code of Canada.
Please note that applications for a Farm Exemption MUST be accompanied by a current (no older than 30 day) title search and copies of all covenants, easements and rights of way registered on the title. The RDOS can obtain these documents for the applicant if necessary. All associated fees must be paid before Exemption can be issued.
Applications for Demolitions
Applications for permits to authorize demolition of a building or structure must include a demolition waste disposal plan. Permits will not be issued until the disposal plan is approved by the Regional District's Public Works department. A current title search and 2 copies of a site plan are also required.
Applications cost $500 with a refund of up to 50% of the fee available subject to the owner submitting reciepts proving compliance with the approved disposal plan and a satisfactory inspection of the demolition site by a building official.
Demolition Permit application (with waste disposal plan)
Applications for Complex Buildings
In addition to the above requirements, applications for complex buildings must include a letter of assurance in the form of Schedule A, Building Code analysis, and letters of assurance in the form of Schedules B-1 and B-2 for each registered professional required on the project.
Prior to applying for a Building Permit the Regional District cautions that the applicant should check to ensure that the applicant is not in violation of any other RDOS regulations, Commission Order, Provincial Legislation or Statute. See "Other Contacts".
Solid Fuel Burning Appliance
Permit application for:
- factory built solid fuel burning applicance such as a wood stove;
- masonry fireplace;
The fee for permit is $100.
Any solid fuel burning applicance must be installed per the manufacturer's specifications.